The Bigfoot Trail is being proposed as a National Recreation Trail!
The Mountains and Rivers proposal will benefit northern California’s landscapes, watersheds and communities. We will ask Congressman Jared Huffman to champion this plan with legislation in Congress.
This proposal includes support for:
- Protecting key healthy forests and streams that sustain our wild fish populations
- Restoring damaged forests and watersheds
- Supporting community wildfire protection and ecologically responsible fire management strategies
- Improving water quality and quantity throughout the region
- Promoting our local recreation economy
In addition, the Mountains and Rivers legislation would:
- Address restoration of damaged watershed and fisheries, with a significant focus on the South Fork Trinity River and Mad River Ranger District through a locally directed stewardship area
- Enhance recreational opportunities in both specific areas and through a separate recreation fund
- Protect communities from catastrophic fire through more coordinated shared agency fire management of Wilderness Areas
- Create a funding vessel to provide support for remediation of trespass activity (including marijuana grows) on public lands
- Designate new Wilderness Areas
- Designate new Wild & Scenic Rivers
- Address specific public lands needs for some of the tribes in the region
What can you do?
Congressman Huffman has expressed his interest in moving this proposal forward and we are asking supporters to send him letters of encouragement to keep the momentum going.
CLICK HERE to learn more about how to write a letter of support!