Who is hiking this year?

Forums 2016 Hikers Who is hiking this year?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Rod “Steady” Belshee 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Conifermann
    Keymaster

I’d love to know who is heading out this year. Please post, link to your hiking blog, and share other hopes and dreams for the summer.

Vern
    Participant

I’ll be hiking northbound from Covelo in early June. I’ll keep you posted, Conifermann!

Luke Brandy
    Participant

I plan to start from Covelo August 28th. Can’t wait! Fingers crossed fire season will be mild so the whole trail stays open. I’ll be at the SFI Conifer Class in June, looking forward to learning more about the trail! Thanks!

Emily Sinkhorn
    Participant

My hiking partner and I are planning to hike north from the Yolla Bollys on Memorial Day weekend. Can’t wait.
    Emily Sinkhorn

Luke Brandy
    Participant

Hi Emily
    Do you think you will detour to avoid snow in the high country? I am planning to hike it in 28 days with some 20 mile days and some layover days. How many days are y’all shooting for? Have fun! Luke

David
    Participant

I just got my maps today. I am hoping to hike the entire trail solo beginning July 1. I still have a lot of planning to do and am not sure how conditions will be in the trinities, especially.

I don’t plan to rush it and am expecting to take around 30 days.

I would love any guidance from those who have already done it.

Chuck or Ddubs
    Participant

Would like to confirm solid plans for a SOBO thru-hike hike but can’t start until early-mid Sept. I would anticipate a good pace in a 20- day time frame w/ zeros and lots of botanical interest looksie around time. I wouldn’t mind being on trail as late as early Nov. For you in the know regional weather experts when is the BFT hikeable before the significant snow starts to fly? What’s the thru-hiker time window SOBOing?

Also what Wilderness and Forest maps do any of you experienced folks highly rec of the ones listed her on the site?

TU

Chuck or Ddubs
    Participant

Oh, BTW the BFT would be a continuation of a SOBO Oregon Coastal Tr SOBO thru.

Conifermann
    Keymaster

Luke- I look forward to meeting you and talking trails in June!

Conifermann
    Keymaster

Great news Chuck! I’d say the SOBO or NOBO window is the same. This year it will be June-October (most likely). Snow can start as early as September. Happy Trails and plant explorting!

Ian Snyder
    Participant

I plan on heading south from Crescent before Monday. Very excited

Conifermann
    Keymaster

Have a blast Ian! Be careful on the Harrington Creek Crossing and from the Smith River to Harrington Lake — it is a hard trail to follow right now. Trail work coming at the end of June.

Erin
    Participant

Emily (above) and I are now hiking it north to south, starting in Crescent City, on Sunday May 29. So Luke: perhaps we will see you as we cross paths! We are skipping one section (the Trinities-Hayfork-Hwy36/3); plan to take 27 days with a couple of small side explorations (to North Yolla Bolly Peak, Raspberry Lake). Woo hoo!

Mary Kwart
    Participant

I will be hiking from Poker Flat through the Siskiyou Wilderness starting June 10 with some friends from a backpacking group in Ashland. They will hike to Raspberry Lake and return to Poker Flat and I will continue to Sand Flat to finish a section of the trail I couldn’t last year because of fire closures. Hoping against hope–but the Kelsey Trail work probably won’t be done. I just finished 376 miles of the Oregon Desert Trail though, so my x-c skills are primed.

Depending on which hiking partner I convince, I will hike either mid-June through mid-July, or in September.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar