Permits and Red Tape

Forums 2016 Hikers Permits and Red Tape

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tobias Nickel 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

I have done a lot of backpacking in the Sierra, where permits are pretty much required for every overnight trip. Is this the case with the BFT? If so, which agency issues the permit? Is it sufficient if I just secure one permit for The Ides Cove Trailhead for the entire trip? Are any other wilderness permits required to hike and camp in the various jurisdictions?

Conifermann
    Keymaster

Tobias- Great question! The only permits required are a self-registration for the Trinity Alps Wilderness that can be done at the Canyon Creek Trailhead and, if you want to stay there, for the Backcountry Campground in Redwood National Park.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

Great, good to know. Thanks, Conifermann!

Mary Kwart
    Participant

You will also need a California Campfire permit if you are going to use a stove. You can get these online and print it out. Just Google it. I filled it out online and printed it to take with me.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

Mary, thank you for your replies and info, which is very much appreciated! I regularly go backpacking in California, so I always keep my CA campfire permit in my pack (though nobody has ever asked me for it). I am glad to hear there is so little bureaucracy involved with this trail. I guess that’s not surprising though, given how relatively little visitation this region receives.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar