Food Storage

Forums 2016 Hikers Food Storage

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Erin 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

Are you legally required to carry a bear canister in any of the jurisdictions that the trail passes through? In the Sierra, bear canisters are required by law in some areas and you are not allowed to hang your food. Is this the case along the BFT or is it okay to just bring a bear hang?

Conifermann
    Keymaster

Hi Tobias- There are no food storage requirements anywhere along the trail. That being said, let’s work to keep it that way! Always store food properly at night — I recommend hanging it.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

I agree! That’s what I was planning on doing. Just wanted to make sure. I imagine the Klamath Mountains to be a lot more remote and less visited than the Sierra, where you are guaranteed to come across lots of people and even the occasional Park Ranger on long trips.

Mary Kwart
    Participant

A bear was in my friend’s camp at Twin Valley in the Siskiyou Wilderness last week. Luckily they hung the food and one used an Ursack. The bear appeared to have messed with the line hanging the food. I just finished the BFT section from Poker Flat to Sand Camp and bear scat and prints were numerous in the Siskyou Wilderness.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

That’s good to know. I will certainly be hanging my food. I am sure these bears are not nearly as habituated as the bears in the Sierra though.

Erin
    Participant

Emily and I saw four bears in two days in the Siskiyou wilderness and had a bear try to approach camp at one point. We always hung bags, but I do think that the Siskiyou bears are more bold than most! I carried bear spray for the first time in many years, and it gave me a sense of comfort, though I was mostly glad that I didn’t need to use it. If you’re hiking alone, it may be a good idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar