Maps

Forums 2016 Hikers Maps

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tobias Nickel Tobias Nickel 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tobias Nickel
    Tobias Nickel
    Participant

I have purchased the Kaufmann map set from the BFT Store, which offers helpful directions, but the 1:60,000 scale is not ideal for backcountry navigation. I am used to the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle maps (scale 1:24,000). I noticed that Kaufmann suggests some additional maps at the end of his guide/ map set. However, those maps do not show topo lines. So my question to anyone familiar with the BFT and the region: Are there any other maps that you can suggest and have found useful?

Profile photo of Conifermann
    Conifermann
    Keymaster

Thanks for buying the maps! We also offer the GPX track with a BFTA Membership.

I first did the trail with only the maps listed at the back of the new map set…

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

The GPX track does help a lot. Thanks!

Profile photo of Mary Kwart
    Mary Kwart
    Participant

I made my own topo maps with National Geographic topo. I used the BFTA track. I had to split it to avoid the waypoint limitations of my Garmin etrex 30. However–you could turn the waypoints into points of interest–my Garmin can store an unlimited number of these.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

I have the BFTA track for my GPS, so that will be of tremendous help. Yes, I already suspected that personal map-making software like TOPO! would be the way to go for this trail. Thank you!

Profile photo of Erin
    Erin
    Participant

I liked having the wilderness maps for each individual wilderness area – I cut the Trinity map to make it more manageable. They’re still 1:60,000 or so, but then you have context for the hike. You can see what peaks you’re looking at, and possible alternate routes in case you need to get out. We had more detailed maps for Siskiyou but otherwise the GPX track was totally sufficient.

Tobias Nickel
    Participant

Great, that’s good to know. Thanks, Erin!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar